Book Review : Things I will tell my daughter by Joan Thatiah



First of all the book am pretending to be reading in this photo is not the book am about to review. Stick around to see the a photo of how the book looks like.


I came across this book in the streets, the title is quite captivating, if you are a lady you would automatically be interested in reading it. So I kept on telling myself I was going to buy it but I actually never did until I saw an insta story where someone had shared a few paragraphs of the book and I was like I will get the book today. It seemed quite interesting and I loved the advice I read. You know am all about positive vibes and empowering the girl child. So fast forward, I bought the book at Prestige book shop along Mama Ngina Street for 580 shillings only.

I flipped the pages and I was instantly drawn into it, Joan the author narrates how she found out she was pregnant at 19 years and how she eventually told her parents about it. She goes on to talk about things that women deal with generally in the society example single parenting, feminism, relationships, self awareness , self esteem and money.

Basically she talks about her own experience in each of the above mentioned topics like I mentioned on my Insta stories some of the advice she gave I somehow didn't agree with her and those are the ones I would like to talk about.


In chapter one she talks about body weight and she says and i quote : "We are not teaching our little girls to look at their bodies objectively. We are instead teaching obviously unhealthy overweight women to say that they are thick and sexy and that it is in their genes. We are teaching them to think that loving their unhealthy bodies is triumphant." I disagree with her opinion on plus size women. I don't believe that all thick women are over weight, there are thick women who are really fit and eat healthy and that is just the way their bodies are not every woman that's thick should loose weight so that they look healthy. I can' expound more on this topic of curvy and plus size women but I totally disagree with her on that.

In chapter six she talks about ignoring the girl code and date your friend's ex....I mean how? and why would you even do that? I respect my friends very much to the point that I would never date or even flirt with their ex. Honestly I've been through that before, a friend whom I believed was a close friend went ahead and started flirting with my ex....I was so pissed and our friendship ended, feel free to call me petty but that is something I would never entertain.

The book is worth reading I would give it a 7 out of 10. It has legit advice for young women.There were a few typos here and there that could have been rectified if she took time to go through her book carefully  before publishing a bit irritating but not something that would stop me from finishing the book. Man is to error anyway.

Feel free to check out other peoples review by googling the title of the book. If you read the book please come back and share with me your thoughts and opinions about it.

No comments

Your comments are highly appreciated