How I started my fashion blog and a few tips to get you started



I have been receiving  so many questions on how I started out as a blogger and today I will share with you my journey. I started blogging in 2011/2012 back then I wasn't ready to share my own personal style, I would particularly post pictures of African fashion models wearing African print outfits. I was fascinated that kitenge was actually a trend overseas and there were different trendy ways to custom make them.


Fast forward in 2013/2014 my interest grew and now I was ready to share my personal style. I didn't know how to go about it at first so I did my research. I was lucky my best friend back then sent me a camera that I used to take photos of my outfits and I would rush to the cyber and upload the photos on my blogger website. Now in 2018 I confidently understand the blogging scene better and today I would like to share a bit of what I've learn't with you especially if you are  keen on starting out as a blogger.

1. Be Passionate

I know if I wasn't passionate about fashion I wouldn't be here giving you advice. Taking photos may look easy but it is a lot of work that involves time, planning and money. You can easily give up if your main motive for blogging is money driven because blogging here in Kenya is quite different from what you see in Europe, bloggers in Europe easily get paid for their  content here in Kenya is a whole different ball game.

2. Network

You need to put yourself out there and network with people in the field you are interested in blogging about. If its about natural hair attend hair events and network with the people in that particular field, get to know how you can be off value to their brand and offer your services to them or even do a collab or partnership. Always position yourself well and trust me from there everything will fall into place.


3. Consistency

Be consistent, upload content on a weekly basis. Make sure your voice is heard that is the only way people will remember you and slowly by slowly you will build a community around your blog. People who listen and follow your advice.

4. Content

Consistency and content some how go hand in hand.You have to create captivating content that keeps your followers coming back for more. Do research and also keep up with the latest news like for me am always on the look out for the current fashion and style trends and I also follow so many fashion bloggers worldwide.


5. Advice 

My last tip is always seek advice whenever you feel stuck or better yet find a mentor who will walk with you on your blogging journey.

Blogging is fun if you are passionate about it and remember  don't compare yourself to others everyone is on a different journey. Do you and everything else  will fall in to place.

Shop the look

Boguk hat- Co-be

Crop Sweat shirt - co-be

Rugged boyfriend jeans - Serinda Fashions


Photos taken by Aggrey Ojiambo



3 comments

  1. Thanks.... ts a cool tip......
    I wanna b lyk u when i grow up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I came across this. Thank you so much for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are highly appreciated